2015 Festival of Houses and Gardens
75 King Street (William Elliott House): William Elliott, whose distinguished family began here as a “brotherhood of builders,” appears to have had this 3 ½ story house constructed sometime before 1740. The less regular design and floor plan of the structure are common attributes of earlier 18th century construction. One of the oldest surviving Charleston single houses, the building retains much of its interior woodwork. A shop door in the center of the front elevation was converted to a window more than a century ago. Mentioned in Elliott’s 1765 will, the house was then used as Mary Stokes’s boarding school.