51 East Bay Street
Casper Christian Schutt House c. 1800-1802 This large, three and one-half story masonry single house was constructed circa 1800-1802 by Caspar Christian Schutt, a Charleston merchant of German descent. As was the custom of the day, he operated his business activities on the first floor and used the upper floors as his residence. The exterior features a hipped roof and dormers, a dentil brick cornice, with stucco over brick, except for the north facade which is brick in the Flemish bond pattern. The deep lot also holds several of the original structures, including a kitchen house, carriage house, servants’ quarters and stables. The house is noted for its Adam style interior with elaborate decorative plaster molding, and is distinguished by an elegant curved elliptical stair that ascends to the third floor. Charles T. Lowndes, a wealthy merchant, purchased the property in 1836 and the property was enhanced and enlarged from its original design. The adjacent lot was purchased and the building on it demolished in order to create a formal garden. In addition, the existing three tiered piazzas were constructed, distinguished by graduating orders of Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian columns and turned balusters.