Pompion Hill Chapel c. 1763
In 1706 the Church of England became the established church in South Carolina, nine parishes were laid off, and three Anglican Churches were established in the Province: St. Philips in Charles Town, Goose Creek and Pompion Hill Churches. Construction on the existing church at Pompion Hill began in 1763 and was completed in 1765. The Chapel is a one-story Georgian brick structure with a jerkinhead roof and a rectangular plan. The brick walls are laid in Flemish bond and the roof is still covered with slate. The chapel, built on a typical rectangular plan, is probably the finest and best preserved of South Carolina’s numerous small, eighteenth century country parish, brick churches. Designated a National Historic Landmark April 15, 1970.