Christ Episcopal Church c.1727
For over 300 years Christ Church, Mt. Pleasant, has served as a gathering place to worship the living Lord. Christ Church Parish was one of 10 parishes created by the Church Act of 1706. A small wooden building was built on this site in 1708, but was accidentally destroyed by a fire in 1725. Our Historic Church along Hwy. 17 was finished in 1727. The Church building was then burned by retreating British troops in 1782, and rebuilt six years later. Near the end of the Civil War, it was again reduced to four blackened walls. A company of Union cavalry, from the 21st Massachusetts Colored Regiment bivouacked in our churchyard. They used the building as a stable and burned the pews for firewood in the bitter winter of 1865. The brick Vestry House, built in 1751 and also burned, was restored by men of the Parish in 1939 and refurbished after Hurricane Hugo in 1989. It has served variously as an office, guardhouse, classroom and meeting place for committees and our teenagers.