Image 2 of 95

St. Michael's Church- Gates leading to cemetery

St. Michael's Churchyard, adjacent to historic St. Michael's Episcopal Church on the corner of Meeting and Broad Streets, is the final resting place of some famous historical figures, including two signers of the Constitution of the United States. The church was established in 1751 as the second Anglican parish in Charleston, South Carolina. Interred in St. Michael's Churchyard are: Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (1746-1825) Colonel in the Continental Army, member of the U.S. Constitutional Convention and signer of the U.S. Constitution, U.S. Minister to France, Federalist candidate for Vice President, and later candidate for President of the United States in 1804 and 1808 John Rutledge (1739-1800) Governor of South Carolina, 1779, member of the U.S. Constitutional Convention and signer of the U.S. Constitution, Chief Justice of U.S. Supreme Court Robert Young Hayne (1791-1839) Senator, Governor of South Carolina, and mayor of Charleston Arthur Peronneau Hayne (c.1789-1867) U.S. Senator from South Carolina William Dickinson Martin (1789-1833) U.S. Congressman from South Carolina Mordecai Gist (1742-1792)American Revolutionary War general Thomas M. Wagner, Civil War Lieutenant Colonel and namesake for Battery Wagner). From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia